Monday, November 29, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1


Being a huge Harry Potter fan, I have a long standing tradition of going opening day to all the movies.  This year was no exception and I was first in line with my friend opening day.  Needless to say I wasn't disappointed... 

Broad Overview:
This movie starts right where the last movie left off.  We rejoin Harry, Ron, and Hermione as they prepare for the final battle against Voldemort for the magical world (geez even as I right this I am cringing at the adolescent geekiness that is Harry Potter).

Review:
I had the chance to read a couple of reviews prior to seeing the movie and found that the majority of complaints with film seemed to be around the lack of development with the plot/characters.  While I can understand the frustration with this I felt that overall the film was generally setting the stage for the final film.  Realistically, any translation from book to film will always leave out some information.  There are few examples where the film is really able to capture everything the book is able to.  As the Harry Potter books are notoriously long, I think it really is a lot to ask of a film to capture everything the book is able. 

Anyone who hasn't read the books is in for a real shock as the latest installment is quite dark (as is the book).  I find it quite refreshing that the tone of the films has changed in accordance with the books and age of the characters.  I am looking forward to the final installment and hope that it leaves this series on a high note as this film in my opinion has left a solid base for a spectacular finish

(picture from wikipedia)

No comments: