Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sex and the City 2


I'll admit, I went into Sex and the City 2 with little hope for the movie. The result? My expectations were not only proven correct, I had severally underestimated.


Now I must mention that I was not a huge fan of the first movie. Now on to the plot: we revisit the girls 2 years after the first movie. Carrie: is married to Big and living the typical married life (i.e. boring), Charlotte: is an overstressed mother of two with a very well endowed nanny; Samantha: is going through menopause and has found every possible "natural" means of stopping the change; and finally Miranda: is dealing with work related stress issues. The majority of the second half of this lengthy film, takes place in Abu Dhabi, where the four-some go for some much needed relaxation time. There the girls take in the scenery (and some men), clash with the culture, and (as the trailer hints at) Carrie runs into her ex Aidan Shaw (who I may add was looking particularly yummy in this film).


Review:

My biggest problem with the movie was how over the top it was. The dialogue seemed too cheesy, with sex filled one liners thrown in by the characters just for laughs. The trip to Abu Dhabi, while absolutely gorgeous, seemed like a failed attempt at creating a plot for the film rather than building a plot around it. The whole movie felt so far removed from the characters we had grown to love through the series. An additional comment that was echoed by a few of my friends were some of the cultural comments made by the characters, which were at times cringe-worthy.


I will note that while I am not often a fan of the clothing, both in the show and in the movies, I absolutely love, love, loved the clothes in this movie. From Miranda's plunging neckline dress to Carrie's billowing white dress at the end I must admit Patricia Field nailed this one.


Final thoughts: unless your a die hard Sex and the City fan I'd say skip it and rent it later

No comments: