Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Hunger Games

The Hunger GamesImage via Wikipedia

Here is the basic gist of the plot: In the future North America is split up into districts and is ruled over by the Capitol. At some point in time there was a rebellion against the Capitol the resulted in District 13 being decimated. Every year as a reminder that the government controls the people, each district must participate in the hunger games. This basically consists of each district picking 1 boy and 1 girl to participate in a fight till the death show that's broadcast as television entertainment.


Review: The book was entirely engaging. A couldn't-put-it-down, wish-it-didn't-end kind of book. The plot, while grim, was entertaining. The only real criticism I have about the book is the poor editing. There are some basic words missing (think "a," and "the"), as well as some past/present confusion. While I still enjoyed the book it did create a somewhat stunted reading experience as my concentration would be broken occassionally by the poor editing. I've read a few reports that stated that this is a well known problem with the book so I guess I'm not the only one. I'm several chapters into the second book ("Catching Fire") and this does not appear to be a problem.


Bottom line: I highly recommend picking up this book if you get a chance. It's proof that there is actually some great new reading in the young adult section.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: