Monday, September 22, 2008

Practical Magic


I have spent the last few days researching graduate schools, juggling two jobs, taking four classes, and trying to figure out my financial situation. Needless to say I've gotten a bit bitchy and in trying to keep my sanity afloat have emersed myself in a multitude of movies that are now readily available to me, as I have a larger cable package now. One of those movies last night was Practical Magic. While the movie will probably not go down in history as Nicole Kidman's finest role...it is definitely one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies.


The movie centers on two sisters played by Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock who are witches. They are raised by their aunts in the art of witchcraft. In addition...there is a family curse that the men the women in their family fall in love with are doomed to die. Now these two sisters are as different as can be. While Bullock's character is somewhat reserved and wants the white picket fence life, Kidman's is somewhat of a wild child. Fates bring these two sisters together when Kidman's character falls in love with a man who is no good (played by ER's Goran Visnjic).


The movie features a host of great actors including a young Evan Rachel Woods and a fabulously good looking Aidan Quinn. It also has a great wardrobe...which is something I discovered while watching it for the bizillionth time. I particularly loved Bullock's flower printed dresses and cardigans...something about it all seemed so effortlessly gorgeous. Kidman's more quirky and flesh baring outfits were equally appealing.


Apparently I cannot be the only one who enjoys this movie as it played on ABC Family over the weekend during Sandra Bullock weekend. Needless to say it is definitely something worth checking out as the Halloween season approaches.

(picutre from www.wikipedia.com)

No comments: