Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Vicky Cristina Barcelona


Stopping by Coolidge Corner a few weekends ago I stopped in to see the new Woody Allen flick, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona." The movie focuses on two friends (Vicky and Cristina) who travel over to Barcelona and become involved with a painter - Juan Antonio- (Javier Bardem) who seduces them both. The story becomes more twisted as Antonio's mentally unstable ex-wife returns (played by Penelope Cruz).


I was a bit hesitant to go to see this film at first, as trailers touted the seduction scenes as big draws to the film (particularly a dark room scene between Cruz and Scarlett Johansson). I was pleasantly surprised upon viewing this film that it wasn't as tarty as I expected. While the film does not lack in sex scenes, it did it in such a tasteful way that it did not become the main focus of the film. Some of this can be attributed to the narration that accompanied the scenes throughout the film. While I tend to shy away from film narrations I did not find it as distracting as I thought it would have been.


Adding to the beauty of the film itself was the Barcelona backdrop, which was sensual in and of itself.


While all the actors in the film added to the movie it was Cruz who I felt shined in this film. While her part was only minimal the intensity of this disturbed character was almost palatable.


I highly recommend seeing this film either in the theatre or when it comes out on DVD. Either way it wont disappoint.
(picture from www.wikipedia.com)

No comments: