Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Star Trek


I managed to pull away from the work grind long enough to check out J.J. Abrams newest blockbuster - Star Trek. I will preface this by saying I am not the biggest Star Trek fanatic, I have watched episodes of the newer ones, but am by no means an avid fan. So here we go:


The movie starts out with a the back story of James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) - who following an attack by a Romulan captain - is left without a father. The story follows Kirk joining the Starfleet as somewhat of a rebel and how he meets those who would affect his future. The film focuses specifically on the relationship between Kirk and Spock (Zachary Quinto)


Any hard core lover of Star Trek can see that the plot line of the story is somewhat skewed as J.J. Abrams imagined the story to follow a somewhat different path. This alternative version is still fantastic. The story is easy enough to follow, the visual fantastic, the plot lines and the acting absolutely what a film of this magnitude deserves. It was a bit long at a little over 2 hours - but I hardly noticed this time passing as I was completely engrossed in the film. The only thing I would have changed about my viewing of this film was to have maybe seen it in Imax instead of a regular theatre - I highly recommend seeing this on the big screen and I will definitely be getting it when it comes out on DVD.

No comments: