Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dear John

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks was one of the few books I can say I read cover-to-cover. It was heartbreakingly beautiful and painfully realistic. The book is about a man named John Tyree who on leave from the army falls in love with a girl named Savannah. He promises to marry her and quit the army...then 9/11 happens. Its a Nicholas Sparks book so its full of unrealistic romantic lines and tearful acts all under the context of a southern sun. I suppose it resonated with me mainly because the years in which I started to formulate an understanding of romantic love was also the time when I came to understand more deeply the idea of war. Now (unfortunately) this marriage of the two has become common place, particularly among people my age.

The trailer looks promising, although I haven't been all that thrilled with movie interpretations of Spark's books in the past I am hopeful. The cast looks great. The song they use in the trailer is Snow Patrol's (featuring Martha Wainwright) "Set Fire in the Third Bar."




No comments: