Monday, January 25, 2010

Synergy's Organic & Raw



In keeping with my New Year's Resolution of trying something new more often I decided to try Kombucha:
According to Drugs.com (http://www.drugs.com/):
"Kombucha is not a fungus or a mushroom, but rather a gray, pancake-shaped patty that may grow up to 0.15 m in diameter. The patty is placed in a mixture of black tea and sugar to ferment. Technically, the fermentation becomes a mixture of yeast and bacteria (ie, Bacterium xylinum, Bacterium gluconicum, Acetobacter ketogenum and Pichia fermentans)"


Doesn't that sound lovely? Well Kombucha has apparently been creating some sort of craze as the next big health drink. Combing reviews I have found there is quite a large fan base for this drink that boost such claims as helping cure anything from Cancer to Acne.

Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to try Synergy's Organic & Raw- GT's Kombucha. I chose Divine Grape as I figured "I like grapes." I decided to try it tonight. Pulling a newbie mistake I shook the bottle in an attempt to mix the drink more (there are cultures floating around in the drink and needless to say I was a little weirded out at first), completely forgetting the whole fermentation process...within seconds of opening the bottle promptly fizzed up. You would think that would be what I was focusing on - nope, what I was focusing on was the smell...Vinegar! Instantly I decided drinking from the bottle would be a bad idea and poured half in a cup. I can't exactly describe the taste but it is definitely growing on me. While I doubt I will be miraculously cured of any ailments I may be suffering from with just one try, I will admit a slight boost in energy or a buzz if you will.


Verdict: Not bad, I may buy it again but I don't think I'm quite a convert. The taste and smell is a little off putting at first - be warned this will not be like drinking fruit juice - that being said it has definitely grown on me. I am still a little weary about anything claiming to cure all these illnesses, and a little weirded about by the floating cultures - but find that the buzz is a nice alternative to either coffee or energy drinks.
Check it out at: www.synergydrinks.com for information about Synergy's drinks, where to purchase these drinks, and Kombucha.

No comments: