Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Timer


Imagine a society in which a gadget had been invented that would tell you the precise time you would run into your soul mate? Impossible you say, well not in the movie Timer. The movie starts out by explaining that just such a device has been invented. While people are initially hesitant to implant this device into their arms, it soon becomes common place. The story revolves around a woman named Oona (Emma Caulfield), who nearing thirty is obsessed with her timer. Oona's timer does not read a specific date as her "one" has not gotten a timer yet. We are first introduced to Oona as she takes her current boyfriend in to get a timer to determine if they each other's "ones." It is clearly implied that this is not the first time she has done this. As the movie progresses she goes on to meet a young man named Mikey (John Patrick Amedori), who tries to teach her that sometimes its not all about guarantees in life.


Needless to say I loved this movie. The plot was insanely intriguing. I found myself, long after the credits rolled, wondering who I would be if a device such as the Timer actually existed. Would I get it? Would I want to know? What would happen if my timer didn't read anything, or read that I'd be 105 when I met my "one"? Along with the plot the dialogue itself never felt forced. Somehow even in this bizarre environment you could see people reacting just as these characters did. I highly recommend seeing this film if you haven't gotten around to yet.


No comments: