Monday, June 7, 2010

Urban Explorers

I recently watched the documentary Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness, and was pleasantly surprised. The film follows several individuals who consider themselves urban explorers, or people who explore abandoned buildings, old subway tunnels, etc. as a means of adventure. The film does not make light of the real dangers that these individuals face in the pursuit of finding the forgotten. There are several brushes with the law, and a sobering tribute to some explorers who died during their adventures.

That being said I must admit feeling quite adventurous along with the camera men who followed these modern day explorers through abandoned seminaries and in underground sewers. Particularly fascinating were the breathtaking photographs taken during these explorations. While I don't think I'll be donning any spelunking gear to go explore old Chicago anytime soon I did enjoy this documentary.

Below is a trailer for the documentary:

No comments: