Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chick Flicks


I don't usually endorse the typical "chick flick" movies as they tend to be too sappy for me and quite predictable. That being said I have been known on more than one occasion to be sucked into their lovely, dovey, overly-romantic, completely unrealistic world. Case in point:

He's Just Not That Into You and Confessions of a Shopaholic

Both movies I had the privilage of seeing this past week. Both are based off of books and are geared toward women in their supposed "weaker" areas of interest: guys and shopping. While we could possibly spend the next millenium debating the sexist undertones of this - lets just talk films.

He's Just Not That Into You
While I haven't read the self-help book this movie was based off of it, I was impressed with how they were able to turn this into a full length film. It wasn't entirely novel in its approach as the remanding minutes of the film seemed to contradict the very premise of the movie itself by giving everyone in the audience the happy ending they so crave. Despite this (and some extremely awkward moments where I wanted to crawl under the chair) it was funny and entertaining. I suppose based on the fan base of the book and the high profile list of actors and actresses were bound to turn this into a #1 movie.

Confessions of a Shopaholic
Once again I didn't have the pleasure of reading the book/series. That being said while the movie definitely had a few laugh-out-loud movie moments I don't think I would actively seek to watch it again. The title of the film pretty much spells out the premise for you so I wont go into detail, but needless to say it filled my cheesy girl flick quota of the week.


Bottom line: If you are a fan of these books it might be worth it for you to see these in the theatres, but if you have to pick just one I would go for "He's Just Not That Into You" and save "Confessions of a Shopaholic" for a movie rental rainy day. Either way here are the trailers for both:








No comments: