Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fear of Flying


So I am scared of flying. I admit it, its an irrational phobia. And recently after the Hudson River incident (albet with the amazing piloting skills, crew, and brave passengers) it has upped my anxiety level even more. Its not only a fear of flying (plane malfunction, etc), its also claustrophobia and air sickness. Needless to say I hate flying. Despite this I continue to enjoy travel and often fly.


What brings about this topic of flying you say? The fact that in the next month and a half I have to fly all over the country for graduate school interviews. While I fully acknowledge that I chose and applied to these programs - the idea of actually flying to them scares the heck out of me. It also forces me to resort to the only options available to those of us who are scared of taking the skies:



  1. Don't fly (don't go, plane, train, walk, etc.)

  2. Take pills

  3. Get hypnotized

  4. Suck it up and try to get through the flight

While all these options are currently running through my head (minus #1), I will write back soon about which one I choose. I might end up making a run to my local "Self Hell Aisle" (Sex and the City nod) and see if I can't find a Flying for Dummies book...

No comments: