Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Letting Myself Off the Hook


The dreaded daily planner. I am currently sitting next to mine as it mocks me. Looming over me, I will admit there are days when I am scared to even open its cover to reveal its contents. Seemingly innocent it's the equivalent of the "Daily Chore Chart" from my childhood. Its check-list of items enormous, it seemingly taunts me at my inability to even get through half the items.


To be fair, I recognize that I create these unrealistic check-lists. That somehow when creating these lists I imagine myself living in this fantasy world where I wake up early, run 10 miles, help feed all the hungry, shelter stray kittens, read entire encyclopedias, and have time to be back home by 6 to scrapbook it all... Needless to say that is not my life (or anyone's).


And while my life certainly holds its fair share of procrastination time I also have the tendency to wear myself out. As such I have decided to designate today as the day I let myself off the hook. While I know there are items I need to complete (dishes, homework, thank you cards...the list goes on) I also realize that allergies, poor sleep, and stress have all led to a minor burnout on the part of this new graduate student. I looked around today at my classmates - all seemed to share the same sentiment. No one quite prepares you for this going into graduate school and perhaps you can't understand it unless you experience it firsthand.


So here's to tomorrow, the day where I figure out how to bring about world peace, discover a cure to an incurable illness, fix the ozone layer, and accomplish all my homework : )

No comments: