Thursday, September 3, 2009

Coraline


Netflix may just ruin my life. I just started my subscription and I already have a ton of movies in my dvd queue, not to mention a ton in my instant queue. After watching Starship Troopers for the five hundredth time I decided to pop in the dvd that was actually mailed to me....Coraline


Now I am a huge Neil Gaiman fan. So needless to say when this movie came out in theatres it was with the best of intentions that I missed it on the big screen. I regret it now after having watched it at home last night. The movie follows a young girl named Coraline (Dakota Fanning) who moves with her family to a set of apartments called the Pink Palace Apartments. Her parents (Terri Hatcher and John Hodgman) are overworked and have little time to spend with Coraline so she decides to explore her new house. There she discovers a tiny door that leads to another house that looks exactly like her own only better. This world is inhabited by her 'other' Mother and Father (also voiced by Terri Hatcher and John Hodgman). These parents are attentive to her, giving her things, and playing with her. Needless to say Coraline spends more and more time with her 'other' parents. Eventually they ask her to stay with them with just one catch....she must sew buttons in place of her eyes like they have. When Coraline refuses this starts to cause problems and she begins to see that the other world may not be such a perfect place.


This movie was fantastical in the way that only a Neil Gaiman movie could be. Shot in stop-motion animation the pure joy of viewing this movie was enough for me. I agree with most people in saying this movie is definitely not meant for small children. It can definitely get quite creepy at some points in the story, and the stop-animation only adds to this factor. That being said I loved the movie! Its definitely worth picking up if like me you didn't get to see if in theatres. (bonus: the dvd I got from Netflix had an optional side to view the movie in 3-d!)

No comments: