Tuesday, February 22, 2011

To Kindle or Not to Kindle?




So I was informed recently that my grandparents are jumping on the Kindle wagon. For those of you who haven't been introduced to the Kindle here is the run down:
The Kindle is Amazon's e-book reader.  Essentially it allows the user to download and read books, newspapers, PDF files, etc. all in one handy portable device.  The Kindle comes with a variety of unique features that are better described in this promotional video:


I'd be lying if I didn't say after watching this video I wasn't more than a little impressed.  Previously I'd seen e-readers and felt they were a bit cumbersome, as well as having concerns about reading off of an screen.  Recently, however; I've started to become more concerned with the amount of space available to me in my tiny studio and how much of thisis taken up by books.  While I could balk at the price (around $150 for the one I would buy), I am not discounting the fact that I would be saing money in the long run by not purchasing my books in regular hard copy format (especially helpful when purchasing textbooks for class!).  Overall, I am not completely sold yet, as I still find great joy in actually holding a book (call it nostalgia), but I am highly considering purchasing one in the near future.  If not just to swap e-books with my grandparents :  )
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: