Sunday, January 18, 2009

Love Story

So apparently all my friends are addicted to the Taylor Swift song "Love Story." Perhaps its the cynic in me that can't quite grasp the mass appeal. Now don't get me wrong I think she is one of the most talented new singers out there and I have loved her other songs -- it's just that "Love Story" feels so forced somehow. The "pop" version is a bit catchier with a stronger beat throughout the song and particularly at the ending, and its this version that seems to be getting the most air play near where I live.

The lyrics just didn't do it for me. Perhaps it doesn't help that while I still find the idea of Romeo and Juliet to be romantic its still very tragic. Two teenagers fall madly in love and are forbidden to see each other so they commit suicide. Call it the psychologist-in-training in me to find the story more tragic and less romantic. I feel that there are quite a few thirteen year olds who are in the throes of first love who wouldn't find the story completely applicable to their lives...enough said. But there is the element of forbidden love/star crossed lovers/destiny/soul mates that continues to draw people to this play.

I recently saw the video. Gorgeous costumes and makeup on Taylor Swift. The ending was a bit too Pride and Prejudice (the one with Keira Knightley) for my taste but the look to the video was very romantic and wistful.

So that's my take on Taylor Swift's "Love Song." That isn't to say I haven't already downloaded both the country and "pop" version of it and haven't listened to it on heavy rotation trying to figure out its appeal.

P.S. If you like "Love Song" you should definitely download "White Horse" off of her same album...while not quite as romantic and a little more realistic in my opinion (keeping in mind the singer is still a teenager) I find myself absolutely loving this song. And yes it was recently used in Grey's Anatomy


No comments: