Thursday, March 19, 2009

Gothika


So I had to pick up one of the crappiest horror (and I use this term loosely in this case) movies for a class presentation I have to do. Needing a scene in a mental institution (and not from Girl Interrupted or Cuckoo's Nest) I remembered seeing this horrible movie years ago starring Halle Berry. My first attempt to pick the movie up from Blockbuster failed - even they didn't carry this pitiful movie. I did however manage to pick up a used copy at Newbury Comics, where they'd deemed it worthy of $3.99.


So what is the movie about?:

Halle Berry plays a psychologist who is treating a young woman (Penelope Cruz) who swears she's being haunted/possessed by a ghost. Through a twist of plot Berry ends up being institutionalized in the very hospital she works at. There she finds out that the "ghost" is no delusion and must try to convince people of this, while also trying to prove she's not insane.


Needless to say there is only one review on the DVD box: "I cherished this movie in all of its lurid glory" - Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times


In case you need a definition (I had to look it up just in case I was misunderstanding it)--


Lurid: (1) Causing horror or revulsion

- Merriam-Webster Dictionary online


No clue why they chose this review to put on the box. I assume its because it was the best review they got for this movie. Berry probably cringes when she looks at this film. All I have to say is watch at your own risk. As for me...well I hope the $3.99 was worth it and that I get a decent grade for this presentation.

No comments: