Sunday, April 13, 2008

Its been crazy!

I haven't written in quite some time but life has been quite hectic lately. As I write this I am inundated with tons of stuff I have to do for finals! Finals always bring about an impending sense of doom upon the college community. Previously empty library tables are suddenly filled with caffeinated stressed college students. Added to my current stress of four finals is the fact that I left my date book in a coworkers car. Needless to say for the average ADD student this paralyzes us with fear. As I type this I am currently making lists of things I need to do tomorrow and fear that I am missing something important. I am also keenly aware that there is nothing I can do at the current time to get the date book back, but I am still counting down the days (Tuesday!) till I can reclaim my sanity lol.

Needless to say my procrastinating brain is still working overtime as I type this up, watch the Red Sox game, and am mindless surfing the web under the guise of writing my extra credit assignment. I wanted to write about two books I recently read. One is Beauty Junkies by Alex Kuczynski whose book explores America's obsession with having the perfect face and body. This addiction of ours which generates billions of dollars each year in our vain attempt to turn back the clock or in some cases change mother nature. Needless to say I am all for plastic surgery (some members of my family are quite familiar with some procedures described in this book...) but there were certainly some obsessive like quailities that were described in this book which shocked even me. Its a definite read for those interested in the beauty industry or just plain interested in the psychology of beauty.

Another book I picked up in my travels was Restless Virgins by Abigail Jones and Marissa Miley. I'll admit after watching a coworker read this book I was more than interested in picking it up for myself. Following the social hiearchies of the Milton Academy in Massachusetts. This New England prep school has a reputation for churcning out future leaders of America. During the 2005 year a sex scandal at the school caused a huge uproar and caused these two former alumni to dig deep into what it means to be a high school student at a private school these days. The writing is somewhat juvenile and does not provide real insight into any of the matters, rather it seems a bit gossipy on the part of the writers. Despite these short comings (or perhaps because of them) I found myself instantly drawn to this book and I couldn't put it down for the life of me. Call it my inner high school bitch who couldn't wait to see what would happen to these kids who are about my age at the time I am reading this. Needless to say I finished the book in about a week.

I suppose it is time to settle in for the night...I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: