Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day of Classes!


These past few weeks have alternated between being exceptionally busy and being ridiculously low key. I find that my ability to cope with being alone for long periods of time has been quite helpful since moving to Chicago. I have decided to take this time in Chicago to really get to know myself as well as to fall in love with the city. Like any good relationship, getting to know a city takes time and is something that shouldn't be rushed. Needless to say I have already developed a bit of a 'crush' on the city.


Today was my first day of classes. As with every first day of classes I deliberated in front of my closet for a good twenty minutes before deciding exactly what to wear. Butterflies continued to dominate me even as I entered the classroom...luckily the people were all really nice. It helps that other people are in the exact same position - moving to a new city and starting school. Nothing brings people together quite like uncomfortable, new situations.


On a lighter note I was skimming through the Boston Globes online website (can you tell I'm still a bit homesick) and came across this article on Urban foraging. Basically people look for produce anywhere, which can include growing in between sidewalk cracks and by the roadside. There is even a video attached to the article that shows a man foraging for food. People are becoming more economically and ecologically mindful, and while I don't know that I will join in this type of food gathering anytime soon it certainly is interesting. I did notice today that there were stalks of corn growing out of a small patch of earth near the front of a gas station today (no joke!), so it seems that everyone is attempting to do their part!


Check out the article:

No comments: