Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Shutter Island


In anticipation of a recent trip home (aka tons of free time to myself) I decided to pick up a few books. One was Dennis Lehane's "Shutter Island."


The book centers around U.S. Deputy Marshall Teddy Daniels and his partner Chuck Aule who are investigating the disappearance of a patient on Shutter Island - home to Ashecliff, a prison for the criminally insane. As the story continues it becomes obvious that more is going on with both the hospital/prison and the deputies themselves.


I confess that I first became interested in reading this book when I heard that it was going to be made into a movie soon. That combined with the buzz around the MA area (the book takes place in the Boston area) and the amazing trailer that just came out convinced me to pick it up. While the beginning was a bit slow to start with, the plot soon picked up pace and was quite easy to read. I literally couldn't put this book down. The book takes what could have simply been a traditional mystery book and added elements of a psychology to create a book that left me speechless upon finishing it. I cannot wait to see the movie!


In case you haven't seen the trailer:


No comments: