Friday, July 24, 2009

Lars and the Real Girl


About a year ago I caught a BBC documentary called "Love Me, Love My Doll." The documentary concerned men who owned and have fallen in love with their full size dolls called "real dolls." These dolls are anatomically correct, life-size, and built according to the specifications of the customer. Needless to say I was a little more than disturbed at watching the documentary, but fascinated as well.




So when I heard about the plot of Lars and the Real Girl I was a bit apprehensive. People have been telling me for the past year to go and rent this movie - and I am glad that I decided to pick it up. The movie focuses on Lars (Ryan Gosling) a socially awkward man who purchases a "real doll" that he believes is a real woman named Bianca. The local doctor recognizes this as a delusion and urges Lars's family to accept Bianca as a real person in order to determine why Lars has created her as such. Eventually not only Lars's family, but the town comes to treat Bianca as a real person.




The movie was fun in a quirky sort of way. The treatment of delusions was something I found to be most interesting. This story would not have been half as interesting had the town not chosen to embrace Lars' delusion as a way to help him through it. The best scene by far was Emily Mortimer's, when she scolds Lars for saying that no one cares about him - as the entire town has bent over backwards to accept Bianca because they care about him. The movie was definitely enjoyable and refreshingly different. The quality acting just added to the movie - so glad I decided to pick this one up!

No comments: