Monday, July 13, 2009

Nights in Rodanthe

I am almost hesitant writing about the movie Nights in Rodanthe...

The movie concerns two people who spend the weekend at a bed and breakfast in Rodanthe, North Carolina (hence the title) and fall in love. The movie brings together again Richard Gere (as Paul) and Diane Lane (as Adrienne). Both Paul and Adrienne find themselves drawn to each other during this weekend as they deal with their own respective personal crises. Paul is a well known doctor who is being sued from the husband of a former patient who died during an operation. In addition he is trying to mend his strained relationship with his son who he hasn't seen for quite some time. Adrienne in turn is struggling with whether to allow her husband to come back after he cheated on her. The movie is based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks.

I can honestly say I went into this movie with such hope - Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorite authors. The man can write a good love story, but so far all the movie adaptations of his books have not been able to really captivate me quite as much. (side note: though I do admit to owning The Notebook on DVD I still prefer the book) That being said as its been years since I picked up this book and I distinctly remember not finishing it I went into this movie with no ability to compare it to the novel. To be honest this movie was boring. The lines felt too cheesy, the acting too stiff. There was not magic and no real reason to invest emotionally in any of the characters. The plot felt tired and too predictable. I wanted badly to enjoy this film but found my attention wandering elsewhere. This is one movie I would say to skip.

No comments: