Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Library Heartache

Bates Room
(Photo taken from Boston Globe website - www.boston.com)


So today I found myself wandering amongst the stacks at the Boston Public Library for the millionth time and found myself getting quite teary eyed as I realized that a month from now I will no longer be able to do so. Libraries have always been kind of like a second home to me. When I was little I used to wish that I would get stuck in the library overnight (think From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler just replace the museum with a library). As I grew older I actually volunteered at my local small town library - it was small but there was something that was very comforting about it.


When I went to college one of the first things I did was go to the Boston Public Library and get a card. I'm sorry to say the card has been quite under-utilized in the last few years. Studying, partying, etc. took up most of my reading for pleasure time. As the years ticked away during my undergrad experience I begin to use the library more and more. And here is where the love affair begin...


The Boston Public Library houses 6.1 million books (per the library's website) as well as housing rarer books, manuscripts, maps, etc. The overall structure of the library is quite impressive - I feel that in the short time I've been through the library there are still many places that I have not thoroughly visited. There are lecture halls, exhibits, a restaurant, an open courtyard in the middle of the library (one of my favorite spots), and absolutely tons of areas to rest, read, or study. There is something comforting in walking through the rows and rows of books and knowing all that knowledge is there for the taking. I will miss being able to access such a wealth of resources in moving to another city and feel that my fondness for the Boston Public Library is not likely to change in the next few years. I just hope that during the next five years of my education I take advantage of all the city has to offer - including its library.


As for now - with about one month left to go - I am determined to spend as much time exploring the city as possible, and this includes the library.

No comments: