Friday, June 13, 2008

New Computer!

So I am currently typing this blog on my new Toshiba laptop computer (insert excited squeal of delight!). And while it is taking a decade to update and reinstall all my old programs in this new computer (thank you Geek squad), it definitely was time for a change.

Speaking of a change...is everyone on www.match.com ? Seriously, I was on the other day and it seemed that everyone I knew had a profile up on this dating website. I don't know how I feel about this. It definitely took a bit of pride stomping to put up a profile, even to admit to some that I was online dating. I guess the taboo of online dating has gone out the window since its become so common. We still carry with us this stigma of the geek at the computer unable to date in the "real world" so he must go online to find some kind of virtual girl to be friends with. While this image has long since been replaced with complicated profiles and intricate date matching it still lingers around each and every dating website. And while I readily admit to dating online I still think it a bit upsetting at the idea of replacing traditional meetings with online web surfing. When telling the story of how one meets their significant other, rarely do we ever picture someone telling their great-grandchildren, "we met online." But perhaps in a few years, this will be the new thing...grandparents will regale their grandkids with stories of how they toiled through endless profiles till they found that magical connection with one in particular. Its a bit weird, but that is the direction we are starting to head in this high-tech world. And fair enough we do everything online now...from ordering clothes, to music, even our food...so why not our dates? I suppose the magic is mainly in the dating, but I wonder if by dating online I am missing the magic of the first meeting?

Ahh...enough about online dating I must away to bed as my eyes are heavy with sleep. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments: