Friday, June 27, 2008

The Overachievers: The Secret Life of Driven Kids


I actually just returned from a great day trip with my roommate to Nantucket so I will make this post a quick one as I am absolutely exhausted (I will post on my brewery tour adventure tomorrow!):


I recently finished Alexandra Robbins' book "The Overachievers: The Secret Life of Driven Kids." Needless to say I was blown away (again) by Robbins writing and her unearthing of some disturbing material affecting teenagers and adolescents today. This book, as the title implies, discusses the pressures that are placed upon todays kids (by parents, society, peers, and sometimes themselves) to achieve levels of perfection in their academic and personal lives. I felt the stress surmount as Robbins described the daily activities of these overworked teenagers. Faced with ridiculous amounts of pressure to perform their best in school, as well as the large amounts of extracurriculars that they "must" take in order to go to a good college. As always Robbins definitely gives into the shock factor of her readers, and she definitely nailed it on this one.


It has been awhile since I stared down at a college application with the dread and anticipation that was chronicled in this book. However, I do not remember the amount of pressure that faced me, as did these teens. I was involved in numerous activities, including an afterschool job, but never failed to be home by 10 at the latest. Now-a-days teens are lucky to be home by 12. In addition I never even dreamed of only applying to Ivy leagues. When I went into the counselors office there were tons of brochures for all kinds of colleges available. The adolescents that Robbins describes in her book all run the race with the sole intention of trying to get into the Ivies without knowing if those colleges are appropriate for them. Needless to say I finished the book knowing that while I stare down at applications for gradute school I am at least over the worst of high schools woes...the drama.


Check out the authors website at: www.alexandrarobbins.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
_____________________________

Dissertation Advice