Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Van Wilder College Plan


So my school is not quite as bad as the movie...but as I typed an e-mail to a gentleman whom I wished to impress I found myself trying to justify the five year program at my school. Over the last few years of college the huge difference in college programs has become more evident. As my high school friends graduate from their respective four year colleges I find myself faced with yet another daunting year of undergraduate. And while my friends tell me constantly that they are jealous that I get to delay the "real world" for another year I can't help wondering...am I a slacker for wanting to delay graduating? I admit I really don't want to enter the harsh environment of the daily grind, yet at the same time I find myself loathing the moment when people ask about school and then hate the inevitable questions that follow: did you take a year off? did you have trouble in undergraduate? did you start college at the same time everyone else did? In general I find the one about me flunking college to be the one that irks me the most. No I did not flunk college, my school is designed for this and no this does not make me dumber than the other college students who currently are proudly displaying their Bachelors of so-and-so degrees. I keep reminding myself that my resume is a lot more in-depth than those other students and this will make me more desirable to employers and graduate schools alike (thank you co-op), but still I find myself trying to make excuses and write about my academic accomplishments when all I really have to say is, "I go to a five year undergraduate college, take it or leave it." Oh well heres to one more year of undergrad before entering the working world...I might as well delay the rat race as long as possible, we all know it inevitably comes. (image from www.rottentomatoes.com)

No comments: