Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How Very Carrie Bradshaw


I hate dating. Let me rephrase that. I hate the kind of person dating turns me into. Somehow, without fail I end up resorting back to my middle school self. By the phone wondering if/when he'll call. Does he or doesn't he like me? Am I doing to much or doing to little? Is he thinking about me right now? Is he getting sick of me already? Maybe I text/call too much? Am I moving too fast?... its exhausting. The rational, independent woman in me screams STOP! But somehow the insecure little girl in me continues to ponder.


Dating in and of itself is a cruel play on individuals emotions. It doesn't help that as females we tend to over analyze (or maybe its just me). Read and re-read each text or listen to each voicemail repeatedly. Looking for hidden subtext - or meaning. And then responding with a single line of text that has been analyzed by multiple girlfriends so as to not appear too desperate, needy, available...the list goes on.


I can already hear the sighs from self help gurus around the world- I look at some of these titles and go... who the hell do these titles appeal to? That's easy, they appeal to women like me. Independent, self sufficient, busy, interesting, intelligent women who still find themselves checking their phones to see if HE texted or called.

No comments: