Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love Review


I recently finished reading Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert. I picked this book up mainly because of all the hype surrounding it. Originally I had written it off as another self-discovery book about another woman's sob-story following divorce and how she regained herself through a journey of self-discovery. That being said upon reading the first few pages I realized how off my initial perception had been. This book was expertly written in a language so rich that I couldn't help turning the page. Following her divorce, Gilbert went on that self-discovery journey that so many of us declare we eventually will make but never do. First visiting Italy where she learned to live life and eat fantastic Italian food. Then on to India where she learned to reconnect with herself through a spiritual journey at an Ashram. Then Indonesia where she discovers love again. My favorite part of the book was definitely Italy where she talks with such passion about the Italian way of life that I almost booked a ticket through Jetblue that day! I felt that upon reading the last few sections on Indonesia though that I had grown weary of the author's journey and too wished to resume normal life.


All this being said, somewhere in the middle of the book I decided I would read reviews of it to see if other people found it as amazing as I did. The reviews I read ran the full spectrum, everything from loving it to absolutely hating it. I recall one who said the book was mainly a "me, me, me" diatribe. I did not quite understand this reviewer as I felt that that was the point of the book, to write about this woman's experiences as she went through her divorce and subsequent recovery.


Needless to say I highly reccomend this book. Its a quick read and quite easily readible. Check out Gilbert's website here: http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/

The book is available for purchase at http://www.amazon.com/

No comments: