Sunday, April 5, 2009

Australia


I picked up this movie from the Redbox at my local grocery store as I had seen the trailer and though it looked like something I would like.


Nicole Kidman stars as Lady Sarah Ashley, an English woman who goes to Australia intent on finding out why her husband loves the country. There she meets Drover (played by Hugh Jackman). Through a series of events Lady Ashley must save the cattle farming business that her husband loved so much. During this time period she also befriends a young boy named Nullah and learns to love the Australian land and people.


This movie was certainly an epic. Directed by Baz Luhrmann (Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge!) the imagery was highly saturated and absolutely gorgeous. That being said, the movie felt a bit too long for its own good. The movie itself could have easily been broken up into two movies and if you see it you can see easily exactly where it could easily have ended. Instead Luhrmann kept going and I feel like this is where some people had problems with the movie. Despite this, I liked this movie. It was a complete treat for the eyes (including Jackman) as the landscapes rolled out across my mini television screen. For the visuals alone I would have liked to see this on the big screen, but I definitely recommend checking this movie out if your a fan of Lurhmann's, Jackman's (not really Kidman's best work), or in the mood for a good sweeping epic love story. Not a Gone With the Wind by any means, but worth looking at.

No comments: