Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Return of the Library...


The other day I made my way to the Boston Public Library with the sole intent of getting a book. And not just any book mind you, an old book. As the semester winds down and I am faced with the prospect of part time work for the next 3 months I realize I will have a lot of free time I have decided I have to read more. While I am a pretty dedicated reader I am no where near as versed in some of the classics as I would like to be. That being said I thought what better time to save money (oo did I mentioned I started budgeting...I'll save that for another blog) and learn by going to the library.


Now to be fair enough the Boston Public Library is quite unlike the small town library I grew up with. Not only is it huge, but it is also historic. So what's with the old books you ask? Good question. A while ago I met an individual who was intent upon studying the classics, however; he had confined himself to only British literature. Now I am not saying that reading Brit Lit is wrong, but it certainly does not comprise all that the classics have to offer. So with that in mind I have decided to try and tackle a variety of books: classics I have put off reading (or should have read in high school), non-fiction books about subjects I have no knowledge of, and the list of "Books I want to read" that continues to grow with each day.


I read a newspaper article a while back that said there has been a rise in the use of the library since the recession hit. I have almost finished Robert Louis Stevenson's "Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." Its a short novella, but I have been a bit distracted lately....hopefully done soon.
Here is a quick clip that keeps me inspired. Its from the Sex and the City Movie, in which Mr. Big makes fun of Carrie for taking out library books. She replies back that she loves the smell of the old books - I know exactly what she's talking of. Older books just have this "feel" to them that makes them sometimes more interesting than newer books:

No comments: