Saturday, April 4, 2009

Should I? - The Boston Globe

I'm a dork, I absolutely love reading stories about psychology and mental disorders (aka what is currently in store for me for the next 5 years of my life). That being said I especially love reading first hand accounts of people living with these illnesses. Fortunately I do not have a mental disorder, unfortunately I cannot truly understand what the patients I work with are going through. So reading first hand accounts are fascinating to me.

I came across this article in The Boston Globe online and was drawn in by the authors honesty about her situation. A woman living with bipolar, she struggled with the idea of having children. Most people wrestle with the idea of having kids, but for people with mental illness there is the added weight of having an illness that may or may not affect their kids. I found it pretty interesting, specifically the part where she talks about giving a book reading and how a woman was pleased she was breaking down stigmas but amazed someone would marry or want to have children with her. The author simply concludes with the idea that having children, whether living with mental illness or not, is a personal decision.

Check the article out and then check out the comments below the article...



Should I? - The Boston Globe

Posted using ShareThis

No comments: