Wednesday, April 8, 2009

BMI screening will begin this fall in Mass. schools - White Coat Notes - Boston.com

I am not sure how I feel about the news that greeted me on The Boston Globe website today. Apparently approval went through to screen/weigh Massachusetts students to determine if they are overweight. Parents are allowed to pull their kids out of this program if they don't wish their child to participate. This is just another one of many programs that seem to be popping up around the country to help combat childhood obesity.

While I am all for lowering the rates of obesity in children I am not sure how I feel about schools stepping into this role. Schools play an integral role in children's lives, but physician shouldn't be one of them. Additionally, parents are apparently going to be given a print out with their child's weight and BMI. Now BMI has its advantages, but it is in no way a definitive measure of proper weight. Rather its a rough (very rough) guideline. I am not sure who is providing these assessments as it does not say it within the article, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the school nurse. While as qualified as she is, is not a trained physician. And if I remember correctly from my days of walking the locker-lined corridors, the nurses were some of the busiest staff in school.

Now don't get me wrong I am all for teaching kids about nutritious (and cheap) ways to eat, as well as increasing exercise but I do not think this is the best way to go about it.

Check out the article:




BMI screening will begin this fall in Mass. schools - White Coat Notes - Boston.com

Posted using ShareThis

No comments: