Wednesday, July 30, 2008

BBC Documentaries-- My Small Breasts


Over the past few weeks I have come to appreciate watching BBC documentaries that are available onDemand and to watch on BBC America. These documentaries cover a wide variety of subjects including anorexic young boys, men who are in love with plastic dolls, and body image problems. Currently I am watching My Small Breasts which follows three young women who deal with having size A breasts. One is a young woman who refuses to leave her house and chooses to engage in phototherapy in order to increase her self-esteem about her small breasts. Another is a woman who is considering breast implants and registers with the website http://www.myfreeimplants.com/ where people pay money for women's breast implants in exchange for "after" shots of the women. Lastly a woman who goes to every length to get her breasts to grow "naturally" through herbs and a suction bra.


I think this documentary stuck with me because as a young adolescent growing up I used to pray for bigger breasts. I remember looking around at all my friends who grew larger while I remained small and somewhat adolescent looking. I wore padded bras, inserts you name it...nothing worked. When I was younger I thought about breast implants and suction bras and then dismissed them off as pipe dreams due to money constraints. As I got older I slowly became more and more comfortable with my small size. I mean I still look at larger women with a bit of envy and clothes shopping cna still be a hassel, but I do not think that I would ever go to the extremes these women have gone to.


What is it about breast size that makes even the most self confident, self-assured, intelligent women go to these extremes? Is it society, the media, men, other women? Who knows I think this question will always remain unanswered. It basically boils down to does society need to change its attitude toward breast size or do women need to change their attitute toward their breast sizes? To counter this documentary is the opposite of the small breast problem...My Big Breasts documentary. Both show that either end of the breast "norm" is difficult. Either way I highly reccomend watching either one of these or other BBC documentaries if not for a little bit of insight into the lives of people, some of whom we would not necessarily been exposed to before...and that is always a good thing!


*The picture is from one of the more recognized (at least by me) suction bras available out there called Brava. You can visit their website at http://www.mybrava.com/

4 comments:

David Gerard said...

The media mostly use breasts as August filler.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are interested in this site.

Small Breasts, does size really matter?

I wish you´ll like it and it´ll be useful for you. Regards.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I just saw this show too and am doing an exhibition in Melbourne next November (2009) titled 'breasts'. My website explains a bit more about what I am trying to achieve: www.narelleirving.com

Anonymous said...

this show was just on where I currently am. And I have to say, it makes me appreciate my 34C chest. But these girls on the show are pretty and I think they just need to let nature take its course. I was a late developer and maybe it was the self massage but my chest eventually filled out. I was a 32C before.