Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hellboy II: The Golden Army


I will admit I was slightly disappointed in this film. I really enjoyed the first one, and when my friend suggested it I was like why not. Now to be fair sequels are rarely if ever as good as their predecessor, but this one in my opinion fell far short of the first.


Once again we follow the story of Hellboy and his quest to rid the world of evil monsters that lurk beneath the streets. This movie however has strong undertones of the personal relationships between the characters (i.e. the relationship between Liz and Hellboy). This I feel is where the movie went wrong. While the relationship was important in the first movie, it wasn't quite as sappy and didn't seem to overpower the script. This movie relied heavily on this second plot and it made it seem a little too cheesy for my liking. The rest of the plot revolves around an elf prince who hopes to raise an army (the golden army) to take over the land the humans have stolen from them (magical creatures) and remind people that they exist.


The visuals were impressive, but I would expect nothing less from Guillermo del Toro, but like I said the plot was a bit lacking and too sappy for me. I don't think most of the audience enjoyed it either as some actually left in the middle of the movie. That being said I am sure the numbers will be in, as they sold out of tickets (at least at the theatre in Boston) and it had to be shown in a full-auditorium.


Needless to say for those who absolutely loved the first movie I say why not see it in theatres. As for those who were only moderate fans I would say skip it and wait for onDemand.

No comments: