Saturday, July 5, 2008

Neverwhere


So I just finished Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" and needless to say even in his earlier days of his writing career he does not disappoint. Following the adventures of the character Richard Mayhew as he discovers there is a world underneath London called London Below. This world is inhabited by talking rats, a floating marketplace (which even sometimes takes places at Harrods), and a woman named Door. As he discovers this magical place, Richard also discovers that he has been barely living in London above.


The story flowed quite easily, and was exactly what one would hope from a Gaiman book. I make it quite known that I absolutely adore this author and I was not disappointed in this book. The ending left quite a lot to the imagination (and a possible sequel), which left me desiring more. I highly reccomend it to fantasy readers and those who have enjoyed previous works by this author. The novel is not that long and does not require as much background knowledge as previous books of Gaiman's I have read (this shows how much his writing has grown with later novels) so its the perfect escapist read in my opinion.


On a more personal note I hope to be writing plenty of more book reviews as I finally had a chance to sign up for the Boston Public Library (http://www.bpl.org/) summer reading program. Its fantastic that the library offers incentives to both young and older readers, to encourage reading. Sign up is going on right now at http://readsinma.org/boston/ There are separate sites for children as well as teens and adults. So hopefully there will be plenty more posts where this came from. For more news on Neil Gaiman and his writing visit http://www.neilgaiman.com/, where there's news about his books, tours, and a really great journal that Neil himself updates almost daily.

No comments: