Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Elephant Walk- Boston

I took my mother to the Elephant Walk today in Boston for her birthday...needless to say she was and I were both extremely impressed. This restaurant offers a unique mix of both Cambodian and French cuisine, presented in some interesting and delicious dishes.

I had been eyeing the Boston location (they have sites in Cambridge and Waltham as well) for quite some time and was pleased that my mother's birthday offered the perfect excuse to go. The menu is a bit pricey, but I decided to go with the Sunday brunch, which is decidedly cheaper and offers a prix-fixe menu as well (starter, choice of drink, soup or salad, and entree for $19).

The food was fantastic and something that you wouldn't find at any of your run of the mill places. I enjoyed a Rouleaux, a spring roll starter which was full of flavor and served with tuk trey. Then I had Cambodian chicken soup, which was a bit lemony for my taste but still great. My entree was Mee Siem au Poulet, was noodles, chicken, tofu, garlic, egg, soy beans, pickled shallot, Chinese chive bean, bean sprouts, and red bell pepper. I had my choice of how hot and I will admit I choose the mild (wimp I know!). For my choice of drink I had the Mimosa and Hibiscus tea with dessert.

I highly recommend visiting if you get the chance this amazing restaurant. The portions aren't too large so you are able to order a few courses and for the adventurous there is plenty to try. The atmosphere is casual but very ethnic...that being said I went for brunch which is decidedly less formal than perhaps the dinner crowd. If you are tight on cash I recommend the prix-fixe meals or Restaurant Week is coming up in August, of which The Elephant Walk is a participant of. The Sunday brunch itself is a good deal less expensive than the dinner and lunch options as well. I recommend either taking the train or walking as parking in the back was minimal.

The Elephant Walk
900 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02215
617-247-1500
Lunch: M-F 11:30-2:30
Dinner: Sun-Th 5-10; Fri-Sat 5-11
http://www.elephantwalk.com/ (provides menus, directions, reservations and hours for all 3 locations, as well as a schedule of their cooking classes)

No comments: