Saturday, July 5, 2008

Hungry Mother Restaurant

So I literally just got back from this place an hour ago and I needed to write about it: Hungry Mother Restaurant in Cambridge. This restaurant just recently opened and serves some terrific southern food in a fantastic atmosphere. On the suggestion of a good friend I ventured out tonight across the bridge to find myself in this quaint little restaurant where I was served my drink out of canning jars (my friend had sweet tea--unlimited refills!). If that was not cute enough the food was absolutely amazing. I ordered cornmeal encrusted catfish with greens, rice, and a side of cornbread. While we waited we were served bread (from a basket!) with their fantastic butter. The catfish was wonderfully presented and tasted amazing. It was served with a mustard-caper brown butter sauce which added just the right tartness to the catfish. This wonderful entree was followed by their old fashioned chocolate cake (they also advertise for an extra $2 a glass of fresh milk, just like mom would do!), which was (as my friend pointed out) just the right amount of sweetness.

Overall this restaurant is definitely on my "must visit again" list. The prices were reasonable $4-27, and the food was fantastic. The waiters were extremely helpful and the atmosphere was very artistic country cottage. I would reccomend if you go on a typical busy night (i.e. Friday or Saturday night) to make reservations as we had to wait quite a bit as the place was jammed. While my particular group was not out for a real drinking night I highly reccomend looking at the drink list as they had some quite interesting combinations.

Hungry Mother Restaurant
233 Cardinal Medeiros Ave
Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA
617-499-0090
Tuesday- Sunday: 5-10pm
www.hungrymothercambridge.com

No comments: