Friday, July 18, 2008

Popularity at 22


Popular: regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general - http://www.dictionary.com/


I know that most people regard the word "popular" as being somewhat cringeworthy past the age of lets say 15. But I am finding more and more as I get older that the term still applies outside of the high school halls, it just manifests itself in different ways. That can be in boardrooms, or outtings with work groups. It can popular babysitters, or even catty adults who continue gossip. In extreme cases it can even transcend generations into parents who latch onto the idea of popularity through their children by reliving their youth through them. Needless to say I find it somewhat amusing that people tend to regard popularity as something that only is applicable to those who still attend high school.


I tend to think of myself in terms of not caring about most of these notions of popularity. And on rare occassions will lie and say that I don't care what others think of me. But (as most people do) I do care in some respects what others think of me. So the other day when a co-worker of mine, who is pretty much defined as the popular girl (lots of friends, lots of guys who like her, smart, funny, attractive, in no need of money...all around well liked by everyone or at least envied) mentioned that she liked my shade of nail polish I still found myself feeling all giddy as if I was still in high school and the popular girl had told me she liked my top.


That being said I began to question my notions of being an entirely free thinker, independent woman with a maturity level well beyond that of my high school years. There I was faced with the fact that it wasn't so much that I was complimented, but who complimented me. I don't know if this so much disturbed me as the fact that it still matter to me enough to realize it. I wasn't flattered that this woman liked my nailpolish, it was that she was so well liked by everyone and she noticed my nailpolish that I liked. Silly to think about I know, but I am starting to realize more and more that somehow the immaturity that was once relegated to the high school years is starting to spill over into young adulthood. I am not sure how I am to take this and I in no way justify my actions or really think less of myself as a human being (or those who continue to think this way), rather I was just surprised that in this day and age I was so happy to be complimented by the "popular" girl at the age of 22.


As a side note the nailpolish was Milani's Mauve on Ice...an absolutely beautiful color if I do say so myself.

No comments: